Re: [OM] Re: Pentax DSLR Announced

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Pentax DSLR Announced
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 01:27:48 -0700
I went and checked that link (below), and it was enlightening... Then I
hunted up (thanks Google) the frame size for 16mm movie film... which is
approximately  10.25mm x 7.5mm within a couple 1/100's mm. I think that
roughly corresponds to a 2/3" image sensor as the sizing is explained at
that link.

Then to make thing interesting I went googling (is this a generic verb
yet...?) and found that 16mm movie zoom lenses come in some interesting
'variations' that might take some getting used to if translated into digicam
lenses... Such as:  17-102mm f2.0; 9.5-57mm f1.9; 10-150mm f2.3... I think
the 'normal' lens for 16mm movie is 20mm to 25mm lens (?) so this means one
lens can go from a considerable wide angle to a pretty long telephoto, in
the range of a 21mm-to-400mm in full-frame 35mm equivalent... Note that the
aperture is constant throughout... '400mm' f2.3 anyone?

The longest full-frame 35mm lens I've ever heard of is a Canon 35-350mm and
its not the smallest or fastest piece of glass you can handhold. I think a
smaller image sensor opens up a lot of possibilites in getting equipment
that can do what no still-camera has had capability to do before. I hope
Olympus goes for it... being late to market won't matter if you can get
pictures nobody else can give you.
--

Jim Brokaw

snippo