[OM] ( OM ) Performance of the Samyang 18-28 lens

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Performance of the Samyang 18-28 lens
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:04:35 +1300
Hi folks,

Today I picked up the 8 x 12 enlargement I requested of a shot I took a
couple of weeks ago.

My first impression was that it was not very heavy for such a big print. But I
didn't expect it to be, did I?

Obligatory <g>

However, as far as performance goes, at a viewing distance of 40cm, even
closer if you want, it is fine. 8 x 12 inches is within the A+ zone of the Pop
Photo SQF test, and my opinion is that their test results are matched my
my print. It was the 18mm shot at f/11 I had enlarged. There's very little
light
fall-off at the edges, scarcely noticeable unless you want to be picky, really.

Straight lines are rendered as straight lines from edge to edge. Amazing,
really.The eaves of the (long) building stretch diagonally across the print,
and
there is just the tiniest divergence in a straight line - and maybe the
builders
didn't get it right. That's been known before !!

SO, my verdict. Other similar lenses may be measurably sharper, but for
prints up to 8 x 12, this one is OK, and I'll be surprised if many people are
disappointed in what they achieve PROVIDED they use the best apertures
as shown in the Pop Photo test.

I used the OM4Ti on tripod and self-timer to get mirror and aperture pre-fire.
The tripod was a little lighter than I prefer.

Brian