Re: [OM] iS-3000 / iS-3 focussing problem

Subject: Re: [OM] iS-3000 / iS-3 focussing problem
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 16:51:28 -0500
While we're on the subject, be sure to check the rewind button -- sometimes it
can get stuck if it's pressed in too far.

The IS-3's have lots of lens motor problems.  Olympus used too much lube in the
Zoom motor's gears with the consequence that grease migrates into the motor.
The result is that the zoom drags, usually from tele to wide.  And both the AF
and Zoom motors are known to wear out -- the springs inside are too weak and
eventually fail, shorting out the motor.  Less common, but possible, is for the
motor to develop a "bad spot" on the commutator -- if it stops there, it
doesn't work for a while.  In every case, we replace both motors now -- for an
additional $18, it's worth it to avoid going back into the lens barrel after
only a few months.