Re: [OM] Infrared?

Subject: Re: [OM] Infrared?
From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 10:23:28 -0500
Infrared photography of the sort done with film does not show heat escaping
from houses - it only records the infrared energy reflected by the subject.
The source of the infrared radiation is the sun or artificial light
sources - thus night time IR photography of black helicopters or other
subjects is usually a fruitless endevour.  The film will record visible
light as well, so for the infrared effect, filters are used to block visible
radiation, in varying degrees.  The following link is an excellent source:

http://www.cocam.co.uk/CoCamWS/Infrared/INFRARED.HTM#FILM

Josh Putnam has more links:

http://www.phred.org/~josh/photo/photo.html

My practice to date has been to use Kodak HIE and a 25A (red) filter.  This
allows some visible light in.  Exposure is a crapshoot since meters are not
calibrated for IR - but I start with an EI of 200 metering through the
filter.  I am about to try using an 87C gel which blocks all visible light.
This filter is placed between the film rails inside the body so that the
viewfinder is not obscured.

It is an interesting form of photography.  Good luck!

Gary Edwards