Re: [OM] Discontinued lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Discontinued lenses
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 00:15:47 -0500
Julian,

I am quite familiar with this having worked in industries where they regularly write off merchandise etc for all kinds of reasons.

But if you go to Browning Arms for instance, or several other manufacturers, they have lists of parts inventories sold off to various dealers and businesses - with parts for items made before WW2 on and on back even. They even have a published list on their own website of the dealers and addresses to obtain these obsolete parts. And they still sell new guns - regularly every year. Result? Browning have a very wide and loyal customer base and their new sales are as good as any other.

Oly-USA could have sold those parts off in one lot in one day. I bet it would not have taken but a few phone calls and a short meeting and inspection of the the items piled up in a shipping container on the dock.

The people that generally hold on to such obsolete goods as OM cameras are hardly going to let themselves be forced into buying any new product. Should the day come all my OMs get trashed before I do, I will simply look for another old mechanical camera and lens from someone else. Attempting to force a customer base for what are in a certain sense of the durable goods type, by dumping parts, into a disposable consumer market of throwaways is not likely to work.

Business is business, but I have a higher respect (and patronage) for those businesses which exercize some moral as well as intellectual elements in their conduct. Waste like that is not among my list of acceptable practices. The tax relief from such a write off is hardly going to put a large brick in their new operation, and it it certainly will not endear any new business from me. I just hope Olympus Japan and their other major regional facilities will not do the same type of thing.

I for one will be writing to them to say so.

Cheers,
Lee