Re: [OM] A serious solution to a simple problem

Subject: Re: [OM] A serious solution to a simple problem
From: Ed Senior <newshawk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 19:10:56 -0400
Another point about demilitarization of humvees is that they are not designed to be driven daily on the street by essentially untrained drivers. The military humvee in the hands of a civilian driver without the proper training would make the least stable SUV look like a rick in comparison. The suspension systems are substantially different on the military version of the humvee, just as it has been with every military "jeep" type vehicle since their inception.

Ed Senior

Bill Pearce wrote:

"Believe it or not, they have to be "demilitarized" under some agreement
about them"
It's not just Hummers, it's everything, and they want it to be retroactive.
This is a big thing in the old airplane world. It seems that someone sold
some "surplus" rocket launchers or B52's or nuclear submarines or something
to some unsavory foreigners, not, shall we say, our friends. This caused
great wailing and gnashing of teeth, and the typical overreaction.

Initially, this would mean that ALL old military aircraft, including some WWI
biplanes, would be destroyed, including the entire fleets of organizations
like the confederate Air Force. Some in congress are propose less draconian
solutions, but nothing is settled currently.