[OM] Mt. Rainier photos

Subject: [OM] Mt. Rainier photos
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 16:19:58 EDT
Mike wrote:

snip
>isn't that Clark's Nutcracker the same bird people call Camp Robbers?
snip

Mike, thanks for the comments.  I had to resort to a Google search for "Camp
Robber".  Seems some folks call both the Clark's Nutcracker and the Gray Jay
"Camp Robber", but some folks think the Gray Jay or Canadian Jay the true,
bolder, "Camp Robber" of the two.  It has a smaller beak than the Clark's
Nutcracker.  I'm not a birder so I'm the wrong guy to ask.

Just about any animal in Mt. Rainier National Park could be considered a camp
robber, they are all so used to tourists and well-fed (against the rules in
ALL National Parks, but you see it again and again, along with those who walk
on fragile alpine meadows and pick the wildflowers -- grrr).  I got within
TWO FEET of a marmot up near where I took the Nutcracker shots.  He was busy
feeding, and paid absolutely NO attention to me whatsoever.  One fella coming
down the trail, enjoying the vista, almost stepped on the marmot, not
realizing it was there.  Only when a snowboarder came running down the trail
did it get excited and scamper across the trail.  As soon as the snowboarder
was safely below, the marmot climbed up on a rock and stretched out to sun
himself, just five feet from the hoardes of noisy tourist hikers going up and
down.  Just another day in paradise.

Rich