[OM] ( OM ) Samyang 18~28

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Samyang 18~28
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:22:20 +1300
Hello Ian,

I bought one of these on the Bay from Cameta Camera and it came with a
clean unused warranty form from Phoenix Photographic.

In my opinion the construction is great - solid metal barrel, very nice finish,

etc, fits the OM bodies well, handles very well. In all those matters, a very
nice lens though rather larger and heavier than any of the equivalent Zuiko
primes (haven't compared with the f/2 primes). Could very well be a good buy
for experimenting with this focal length range.

I bought mine because although I had (and still have) as Zuiko 24/2.8, I didn't
see ( and still don't) that I will be able to get a Zuiko 18 in the foreseeable
future, and a 28mm might not be very likely either.  I was having a fit of
Zuikoholism at the time (which has not subsided totally yet either !!) OK, I
know Samyang does not equal Zuiko ... ...  It was Zuiko envy then.

At the time, several people drew my attention to the Vivitar Series 1
equivalent. It does seem that, according to published test results, the Vivitar
is significantly sharper.  So it depends partly on how big you want to enlarge
your images. I figured that the Samyang would meet my needs.

Actually during tomorrow lunchtime, I will be able to use a (Olympus !! )
microscope examine slides I made of test charts using this lens so I may be
able to comment on how my lens actually performs on this basis. Will
depend on how much time I have, and whether or not the Oly microscope is
biassed. <g>

In the meantime, you can see comparative test results at this URL.

http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/zuiko/

Please do not publish this URL elsewhere. Bookmark it for your own future
reference.

Brian