Re: [OM] Samyang lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Samyang lens
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 12:30:24 -0700
on 10/12/02 9:33 PM, Ian G Skelly at I@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Does anybody know anything about these? I'm thinking of buying the 18-28
> zoom as a relatively cheap why of experimenting.
>
> Are the optics any good? are they reasonably well made? I'll need to import
> to the UK from the USA (I think) so warrantee claims could be problematical.
>
> regards
> Ian

I have this lens... the construction is pretty good. All metal, smooth
actions, looks pretty nice. Optical performance is OK for small prints,
depending on the subjects you might find distortion. I recently used it for
a roll of 'snapshots' pre-focused and on auto at a street arts-and-crafts
fair. The pictures came out pretty good, and most were shot at 18mm and f8
or f5.6... If you use it for buildings you might notice distortion, but for
landscapes or street-shots it would be OK.

Like most lenses I suspect the sharpness is better stopped down a couple
stops than wide open. Also, its not a small lens, sizewise it is about the
same size as the 35-70/3.6 or 35-105/3.5-4.5 Zuiko lenses, and it uses a
72mm filter. Common auction prices seem to be $130BIN or so, and for that
its a good way to experiment with the wideangle focal lengths...
--

Jim Brokaw