Re: [OM] Samyang lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Samyang lens
From: "Michael R. Collins" <Michael.Collins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 13:42:53 -0400
I've heard on the list of another lens, the 19-35/3.5-4.5, but I have no
experience with it.

I bought a Vivitar Series 1 19-35 MC the other week at Henry's in Toronto, but don't have anything to report yet - I'll post once I've had a chance to use it a bit and do some printing. I chose it over the slightly cheaper 18-28 after scanning the Web thoroughly for user opinions and test reports, but I'm in no way a qualified evaluator of lenses :-) . AFAIK the lens is *not* a member of the "cult" Series 1 club.

BTW, the deal at Henry's was interesting. The lens was listed as 8+ condition, but turned out to be new-in-box. Their story: Vivitar has just changed distributors in the US, old distributor had a warehouse of stock, Henry's bought it all and shipped it to Toronto, but declared it and are selling it as used (presumably to eliminate/lessen duty etc.). Their Used department is wall-to-wall Vivitar boxes these days, almost hiding the real "used" equipment. I normally trust Henry's, but does anyone have any independent corroboration of this event?

Michael
--

Michael R. Collins  ...  Michael.Collins@xxxxxxxxx
Toronto, Ontario