Re: [OM] Samyang lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Samyang lens
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 19:02:09 +0200
>Does anybody know anything about these? I'm thinking of buying the 18-28
>zoom as a relatively cheap why of experimenting.

I had a 18-28/4-4.5 for about eight years. They're made under several
brands: Samyang, Phoenix, etc -- mine was an Exakta.

Optically is a "so-so" lens. Very soft wide open, however stopping down to
f/8 brings sharpness and contrast up to acceptable levels. You won't get
great 12x16" prints from it, though. Barrel distortion is very noticeable,
especially at 18mm. The same about vignetting, but it improves when stopped
down.

Build quality seems much better -- all metal construction, IIRC. I had no
problem along the eight years I had it, but never had a tough use.

I think it will do the job as a "cheap experimenting" lens.

I've heard on the list of another lens, the 19-35/3.5-4.5, but I have no
experience with it.

Carlos Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<cjsantis@xxxxxxxx>