[OM] filters

Subject: [OM] filters
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:02:47 -0500
>Would you please explain your reasoning here?  The classic
>application for a UV filter is at high altitudes, so why not use
>it there?
Insufficient effect. A standard UV just can't get all of the blue out of the
tiny pieces of crap in the air that come from the generating plant, forest
fires, and jillions of cars.

>I can understand using an 81A at high noon when the sun fades
>out the rich red colors of the sandstone.  But do you use it as
>an ersatz lens cover?
Never, I only use a filter as required for effect, or in expecially bad
circumstances. (ever had the sparks from a welding torch land on the front
element of a Hasselblad 40mm?) Fact is, there isn't much red sandstone in
Colorado at 10,000 feet. To be entirely truthful, I've about given up on
shooting color there, except in close situations, on on one of those
infrequent days when the air is clear. B&W with a R25 works a lot better.

Anyone who doubts the amount of polluted air here should visit the
southwest. I read somewhere that it is impossible to duplicate Ansel Adams
photographs, as the northwest is equally polluted. Depressing, no?

Bill Pearce