[OM] The clearly inferior lens

Subject: [OM] The clearly inferior lens
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 21:01:31 -0400
After I said:
I have one inexpensive zoom which is clearly inferior to the other lenses. Probably fine for snapshots but you wouldn't want to use if for big enlargements

Rich asked:
Care to share just which lens that might be, Chuck? I take it that since you are calling it "inexpensive" and "clearly inferior" that it's not a Zuiko?

The lens in question is a Makinon 80-200 f/4. Bought used from a local shop a number of years ago for about $100. It was the first zoom I ever owned. Only ever used for snapshots. Good looking metal lens, multi-coated and seemingly good build quality. I didn't realize that its resolution was decidedly less than all my other lenses of equivalent focal length. Discovered that a few months ago when I did my first ever side by side test of most of my lenses above 70mm focal length. Actually, the performance isn't too bad in the 80-105mm range but falls off quite a bit by 150mm and a lot by 200mm.

If there's somebody out there who just doesn't have enough OMoney at the moment to expand their lens collection I'll be happy to send this one to you for the price of postage. You'll be happy until you try to critically compare it with another lens. Stick with snapshots and you'll be OK.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA