Re: [OM] OT Goofed up clock

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Goofed up clock
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 20:59:20 -0400
Comment below.

At 12:45 PM +0000 10/9/02, olympus-digest wrote:

>Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 06:22:25 -0400
>From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] OT Goofed up clock
>
>Yeah, those Macs, they're not very reliable.  Even a game messes them up :)
>
>Tom
>
> > Dear Zuiks,
> >
> > I just noticed that my clock has been way off---like
> > 1904! I have son in 4th grade who is discovering
> > computers and plays a flight sim on my imac which
> > appears to play havoc with settings if it isn't him
> > doing it directly.
> >
> > I've sent emails to some individuals on this list in
> > the past few days. I am worried that the messages may
> > have been misrouted or way out of sequence 'cz of the
> > weird time. If it seems I haven't replied please re
> > post your correspondence to me.
> >
> > My apologies.
> >
> > Andre

What's happening is that the lithium battery on the motherboard has worn out,
and must be replaced.  The clock reverting to 1904 is the first symptom; other
problems will soon surface.  Resetting the date won't work; it will keep
reverting.

Replacement of this battery is simple, and requires no particular skill or
tools.  How to do it is explained in the Owners Manual.  If you no longer have
yours, it can be downloaded from <www.apple.com>.  The battery can be bought
from computer hardware stores, and perhaps Radio Shack.

Joe Gwinn