RE: [OM] smokey smell?

Subject: RE: [OM] smokey smell?
From: Andre Goforth <andregoanon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 15:19:41 -0700 (PDT)
Jim,

I've got the same experience. I bought a lens with a
hard case( 800mm f11 cat series 1 vivitar). The
previous owner was a cigar smoker. I swear he must
have stored cigars in the case. I got used the awful
smell as one of my bargining ploys.  This is how I
solved it.

Send a few days and nights out in the wild with the
wind ablowing and weather athundering and campfire
smoke in your face. It cured the lens. It now smells
just like a lens ought to, kinda musty with just a
touch of campfire smoke.

If you can't do that then put it out in open where the
the sun shine will light up the area it is in.
Seriously!

Andre

PS Try storing it with one of those bags of dried
herbs you can find at health food stores. Watch out
for air refreshers. Some of them could eat away at the
multi coating.