[OM] Organising / Archiving Photos.

Subject: [OM] Organising / Archiving Photos.
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 12:07:06 +0100
Hi Everyone,

Well, it's finally got to the stage (OK, it got there a long time ago!) that
I have so many prints, negs, etc., that I am getting in a total mess trying
to find anything.  It's time to organise everything.

I have numbered all my films (chronologically as far as I can figure !) so
at least I've got that bit almost sorted.  I am now faced with a pile of
Hundreds, probably more like thousands, of prints.  Some in albums.  Some in
packets.  Some dotted around all over the place !!

So, next jon is to try and identify each shot from the negs.  Not too bad,
I'm working through that and it's not too difficult.  So far, for the most
part, they have been kept "together" in groups of film and sometimes even in
order !

Question is, what do you guys use to write film / frame no on the back of
the prints ?  Obviously I don't want to use something that will make an
"imprint" on the other side.  Thoughts so far are :

1) A fine permanent marker (I believe you guys in the US call them
"Sharpies", or am I just losing my marbles completely !).  Would these
eventually soak through the paper ?

2) A small sticky label with the number written on.  Would this not ooze gum
over the print behind it in the pack ?

3) A biro, pressed VERY lightly.  Not keen on this 'cos of the pressure and
the fact that biro ink is a bit "globby".

4) Tried pencil, very lightly, but it doesn't seem to work on the paper !!

All thoughts as always are welcomed.  Also if anyone has any PC based
databases they have used successfully, I may be interested in a link !  I've
tried writing a simple thing in Access, but it really isn't one of my strong
points and the PC nearly got a fist through it's screen !!

Thanks,

Jon