[OM] Photoshop - RGB to CMYK

Subject: [OM] Photoshop - RGB to CMYK
From: Matt Crawley <matt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 14:18:41 -0600
Hi All.

I have an annoying issue with Photoshop.

When converting from RGB to CMYK the final CMYK image doesn't have enough
black. I have tried changing the "Conversion Setup" but I can't get it to
work right.

The CMYK file ends up with blues made with HEAVY Cyan, Magenta and Yellow
inks and NO Black. I even tried an experiment were I created a 50% Cyan/20%
Black square and when I converted to CMYK, Photoshop changed it to
62%Cyan/17%Magenta/11Yellow/0% Black. It makes very little difference what
"Conversion Setup" I use...

HOLD ON! - As I was typing I discovered a way to fix this. It seem the
problem lies in the CMYK color space I am converting to not the Conversion
Setup. It looks like most or all of the "U.S." CMYK profiles will render
blues without black... When I switched to "Generic CMYK" I got a nice dose
of Black, probably too much but it's a start.

It looks like I'll need to create some of my own CMYK profiles to get the
results I want.

 - Matt Crawley