Re: [OM] 50/1.4 MC serial#'s

Subject: Re: [OM] 50/1.4 MC serial#'s
From: Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 16:04:27 -0400
Mark wrote:
>I think their main purpose is to protect the rear element,
>but not from damage from being placed end down.  If you look
>very carefully, as the lens is mounted on a body, you'll notice
>that the "horn(s)" line up with the bottom of the lens mount
>flange.  The horns are there to protect the rear element from
>being damaged by the lens mount if you should happen to slip
>while mounting the lens.  Only lenses which have the rear element
>recessed enough that the lens mount flange can't reach don't have
>the horns.

Take a look at the 35/2.  Its rear element is as exposed, unrecessed and
vulnerable as the rear element of the 21/2.  No horns.  Same situation with
35~105/3.5-4.5.

Someone once postulated that these protuberances (I speeled it rite this
tym) might be to prevent folks attempting to use the 2X-A teleconverter.
Somehow, I can't buy that one either.  I really have no opinion, hypothesis
or clue, just a bunch of horny Zuikos that I don't understand.

Walt