Re: [OM] Carl Zeiss Jena 28-85/4-5 zoom

Subject: Re: [OM] Carl Zeiss Jena 28-85/4-5 zoom
From: Benson Russell <snapper@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 20:31:35 +0100
> From: John A. Lind
>Your lens is undoubtedly one of those designed and manufactured by a Japanese
firm and marketed by CZJ.  Doesn't mean it's a poor lens, though, but it
won't have the "resale value" nor the exceptional performance of a true
Zeiss lens either.

Thanks John, and others, for the detailed response.

Interesting that it's theory and no practice with the Japanese CZJ badged
lenses (I've never had any misconception about the 'Zeiss' connection). It
sounds like quality is variable, and reputation is low, but perhaps that's
also a little exagerated because of the inevitable comparison with authentic
'Zeiss' lenses.

I should point out that this lens earns me its value several times a year -
well over 300 pics that I've taken with it have been published. I use it
because it handles nicely, has a good zoom range, a useful degree of 'macro'
across all focal lengths - and the results look good at the size they're
shot for. I suppose I 'trust' my Zuiko 35-70/3.6 more, optically, but the
extra zoom at each end, and close focus, on the CZJ, makes all the
difference!

I'd be interested to see objective test data for optical performance.

It was the first additional lens I bought after buying my first Oly (OM20
with 50/1.8) in the mid eighties, so it's also been responsible for many
family snaps in the meantime, too.

And Moose, are you suggesting something like the 'idiot strings' that retain
chilldrens gloves, through their coat arms? Very good idea!

Thanks all,

Ben Russell

Ireland