Re: [OM] contact print update

Subject: Re: [OM] contact print update
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 12:45:18 -0700
on 9/30/02 9:56 AM, Bill Pearce at bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Several weeks ago, I mentioned that I had ordered one of Lenswork's silver
> prints. I have just received it, and here is my opinion.
>
> The full info is supplied with the print. It is a contact print from an
> actual sized HALFTONE negative, about a 425 line screen. this is different
> from a print from a continuous tone actual size neg. It is quite good,
> actually, especially considering the 19 USD pricetag, but it is not as good
> as an actual print from a 4x5 or larger neg. I would call it equivalent to a
> print from an average 6x6 neg, or a remarkable print from a 35 neg. It has
> decent blacks, although a bit less dramatic than from a continuous tone neg,
> and the highlights lack "sparkle."
>
> In other words, I would encourage you to buy at these prices, but would be
> reluctant to buy those priced in the 79-99 dollar range. It came with a $15
> coupon, and I think I'll try one of their gravures next.
>
> I will continue to try to get the info about making your own negs from
> digital files.
>
> Bill Pearce

Can anyone figure out what the pixel count would have to be to support a
halftone at that line density? The highest press-printed images I've ever
seen used a 200-line screen. Every once in a while the old Modern
Photography would publish some 'high quality' press-printed images using
that and the results were noticably improved over their usual pages. I
expect 425-line screen would look pretty good, but I can't translate it into
a pixel count.
--

Jim Brokaw