Re: [OM] Oddities of another system

Subject: Re: [OM] Oddities of another system
From: "W.Xato" <xato0@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 22:50:09 -0700 (PDT)
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 23:43:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>

<<I test drove a new Pentax 645NII.  I checked it out
with one of the zooms (equivelent to 35-70mm in
Zuikodom).  Gulp!  Rethink city.  Does one reconsider
this unit?>>
I lust also, especially after the 33-55 (21-35mm
equivalent in 35mm terms)

<<Duds:
Still no film-backs.  Fatal design flaw in most
people's  book.  I would like the flexibility to
change film backs between  color and B&W or even
digital.>>
I heard on the net that behind closed doors NPC (who
made Polaroid backs for lots of cameras) showed a
prototype for the P645.

<<Conclusions:
I could backpack with this rig.  Lenses are reasonably

priced and TERRIFIC!  >>
I carried my P645 on a 25 miles hike from the North
Rim to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. I took the
45mm and 120mm but wished I had that wide angle zoom.

<<The question comes down to whether or not I really
need interchangeable backs.    >>
Think of it this way: multiply the cost of half a roll
of film and processing times the number of times per
year you want mid-roll change as compared to the cost
of a new back for a Hassy or M645. It's just not a
problem; just wind it to the end. The P645NII even has
a button for this.

<<AG-Schnozz>>
Now to get a scanner is a more difficult question.

Warren