[OM] Meeting Maitani

Subject: [OM] Meeting Maitani
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 01:40:39 EDT
Cc: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Olympus has done very well in the p&s and digital market and seem to be
doing well in the future as well.
<<
Thomas,
             I think Olympus is not really either a camera or microscope
company anymore. I believe their biggest cash cow is endoscopes.

       Interestingly, they now seem to have more competition there than they
used to. This is because there has been a rapid adoption of electronic
endoscopes using solid state video cameras mounted in the tip of the
endoscopes. This can give better resolution than the older fibre scopes and
they don't break as easily.  Some of the newer scopes even have stereoscopic
dual cameras in the tip.
So in a way Olympus has been experiencing Electronic conversion in it's other
(bigger) market for some time. Competitors in that market include some other
camera vendors like Pentax,Ricoh and Fuji.

Regards,
Tim Hughes
NoSpam_Hi100@xxxxxxx
delete NoSpam_