Re: [OM] "I am so, like, totally, not impressed."

Subject: Re: [OM] "I am so, like, totally, not impressed."
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 17:21:47 -0700
Yes, but the thing is, I can always make a digital version of an analog picture or music; I can only come close to making an analog representation from a digital source... That's the difference.

I'm all for having film, digitizing it, and then maniuplating it. But I'm not that hot on have a lower quality original to begin with.

Which leads me to the question; why do people worry about image quality and resolution, and then save them in jpg's and other lossy compression algorithms? It seems to me, a 20ut on resolution caused by jpg'ing them, would have translated to a much cheaper lens that you can buy...

Albert

Because I never just "want analogue."  I want analogue plus, which means I want
the ability to manipulate it, which I used to do quite imperfectly in the darkroom.  At
my best, what I can do in Photoshop simply annihilates whatever I did in the darkroom.  I
can express myself better.  And digital = analogue when your perceptual system (eyes,
ears) no longer can tell the difference.  We're getting there for digital photography --
I've been there for some years with digital music.

Garth