Re: [OM] "I am so, like, totally, not impressed."

Subject: Re: [OM] "I am so, like, totally, not impressed."
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:25:51 -0700
In a message dated 9/24/2002 Tom Scales writes:

<< It's the E-20 lens in the mockup.  Maybe in a removeable mount, but every
single feature matches.  Too big a coincidence. >>

That was my first impression too. But on the top of the lens is a (probably
fake) window with a mechanical focus distance display. The zoom and focus
rings on the lens look E-10/20 all the way though, including the fly by wire
focus ring (which I think works well BTW).

I seriously doubt that the first finished product(s) will look exactly like
this test mule mockup. If the body is the size of an E series camera with
LIPO Grip it would still be petite compared to the latest offerings from the
big two or three.

Where I see a potentially huge advantage is the size of the glass. If a 35mm
equivalent of a 600/2.8 can be done at the size of a 35mm 300/2.8 and image
quality is comparable (or better) this system concept could be a huge winner
for sports and nature photographers who have to carry their gear long
distances or for long periods of time. What is exciting is the open
lensmount design that could be the dawn of the "screwmount digital era"
still. (Of course we all know where that old screw mount went for 35mm so
maybe that's not such a good thing.)

An aside, both of the mondo-megapixel offerings from Can*n and K*dak are
clearly intended for non-field use where a firewire computer is close at
hand to transfer those mondo files into. (Hmm, then again I did run into a
guy at the track last weekend who used an Apple G4 laptop as a "digital
wallet" trackside <g>.)

I'm too broke to worry about it for now, so I'll happily keep shooting film
with my OMs and digitally with my "ancient" E-10 while I wait and see what
shakes out. I admit, I was hoping Olympus would show more. I still have a
hunch that when this system comes to market that it will be revolutionary.
Since I don't have excess thousands to kick down today for gear that can't
get me the results I get with my OMs it really shouldn't matter to me today.
I just hope that (a distant) tomorrow there is a great Olympus DSLR system
for me to slowly migrate to after 3+ decades of happy OM shooting. Not so
sure there will be at this point, but not I'm giving up hope either.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com