[OM] tight scenes with the 24 shift, 18/3.5 and 16/3.5

Subject: [OM] tight scenes with the 24 shift, 18/3.5 and 16/3.5
From: "Robert Gries" <rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 09:02:25 -0500
John:

Yes, I was about 30' from the building.  I had heavy trees above me, and
street behind me (though it was quiet enough to shoot from middle of
street).

I am also quite impressed with the coverage of the 24 shift.  As part of
a partnered experiment, I was shooting this w/e with the 24 shift,
18/3.5, and 16/3.5.  One of the list members dared me that the 16/3.5
corrected in PS will provide result equal to (or greater) than the 24
shift.  I took the bet, and will have the film processed today, then
send him the negs to be scanned, and un-wrapped and compared on a web
site.  We will, of course, post the results here.  One part of the
comparison where the 24 shift will set itself apart is the ability to
cross shift.  I have one shot that was composed with the 24 shift (and
all the necessary adjustments) and duplicated with the 18 and 16mm
lenses.

One other observation about the 18 vs. the 24 shift is the actual
coverage at full shift.  I think Paul posted his math to prove that the
24 shift has greater angle of coverage than the published 100 degrees,
and I have to agree.  Another one of the comparison shots shows the 18mm
vertically and leveled at the horizon and the 24 shift in the same
position with full shift.  The 24 shift definitely gets more for your
money, but the 18 is looking both "up" and "down".

I was also a bit hesitant (and confused with) the comparison as I
haven't used one lens to replace another.  In the final comparisons, I
used the same position, but composed the final image based on the lens
used.  All are good shots in their own right, and express different
qualities about the space and the object in it.  For those of you
familiar with Chicago, I was in Federal Plaza (Adams & Dearborn)
shooting "Flamingo" by Calder (at dusk) - one of my favorite subjects.

Stay tuned for more results!

Bob Gries

<snip>

>Take a look at the TWU page to see some results.

Nice control of the architectural lines.  I'm guessing you were rather
close for the outside shot?

- -- John