RE: [OM] slow film was The death of film.. pt n+1

Subject: RE: [OM] slow film was The death of film.. pt n+1
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 17:14:20 -0700

I absolutely agree with you. However, remember that my comments were about
the typical P&S users (those who fire their flashes on a stadium), so your
gear and technique are *well above* from them. We must buy film in more
serious stores ;-)

400 is a nice film speed for general use. If I need a slower shutter speed,
I can place an ND filter on the lens...

Carlos Santisteban

That reminds me of a point that had occurred to me before. We just lost a camera system that was dropped because of lack of sales. Cheap fast color negative film is not going to go away because of the needs of people to use cheap, simple P&S cameras with slow lenses. As more capable photographers migrate to digital I think we are going to see pro or special interest films disappear, at least in 35mm maybe even 120. Kodachrome will probably be the first to go. In 10 years I would not be surprised to see one slow and one fast chrome and one slow and one fast color negative film in the pro level from maybe two companies and it will probably be very expensive. If users want these good films around for a while they might opt to support them now instead of the discount store variety. It may fund the chemistry breakthroughs to at least challenge the digital revolution.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California