Re: [OM] "A real camera"

Subject: Re: [OM] "A real camera"
From: Charles Sdunek <csdunek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 00:52:08 -0400
At 12:30 AM 9/18/02, you wrote:
>Thinking of all the crazy things I
hear when I'm out and about with my crown graphic....<

On the opposite end of the scale, I have gotten some really intereting
questions when out shooting with my Retina 117.  As it is quite archaic in
appearence and function,it elicits comments ranging from bemused curiosity
to nostalgic rememberance.

I often get asked if it still works.  (No!  I just carry it as a fashion
statement.)  How old is it?  And finally, as God is my witness, I got asked
if it was digital.  I said, NO,  it used wet plates.  The questioner looked
perplexed and moved on.

I am thinking of going out carrying it on a strap around my neck while
simultaneously carrying my E-20.  I wonder what I would hear then.

Dave Dougherty

Ok, I know I am getting off topic so here is some OM content. My OM-2 is my absolute favorite camera. But when I am not using it, I am often found carrying my Retina IIIC. What a great compact little camera it is! Nice bright rangefinder, nearly silent shutter, and changeable lenses! The Retina cameras are simply superb. I have not had the pleasure of handling a 117, but have been overjoyed with several variations of the retina I through IIIC. While my OM-2 remains my camera of choice, I can not discount the joy of handling some of the more primitave cameras. I recently shot a roll of film through my old kodak vest pocket with a neutral density 4 filter taped on the front...I'm sure they will turn out wonderfully ugly!

Charles