Re: [OM] OT Low Flying, was an OM weekend

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Low Flying, was an OM weekend
From: "John Cwiklinski" <plinkochips@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 18:15:01 -0700
Jerry Liles wrote:

The ripple is either the boundary between laminar and turbulent flow
over the wing or the shock front where the local airflow goes
supersonic.
<<

Sounds like a Mechanical Engineering explanation and just what I have been looking for. Fluid mechanics describes this as cavitation, but I have never been able to corroborate. I've asked Cessna pilots about it being called cavitation and they have said no, but they do not know the technical term for it. Any idea of the technical term for the vaporization of air around the wings and/or fuselage of an aircraft? Is it cavitation?
Really OT now.

John Cwiklinski