Re: [OM] OT Low Flying, was an OM weekend

Subject: Re: [OM] OT Low Flying, was an OM weekend
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 21:31:39 -0700 (PDT)
This discussion reminds me of a strange event that I mentioned
before on the list.

One time I was flying onboard a 727 or MD-80, can't remember
which, but I'm leaning towards the 727.  Anyway, I was above the
wing right at the CG (Center of Gravity).  I was watching a
ripple in the air. This obvious distortion of light would move
back and forth an inch or two, and wiggle some, but it stayed
right there.  Once we started to descend it went away, but it
was the strangest thing.

It was vertical and visible through two different windows.  If I
had to guess it was maybe five or six feet away from the window,
but who knows exactly since it was a distortion of visable
light.  It looked kinda like an OLD window pane where the glass
has flowed downward, except it was air.  I don't know how tall
the distortion was, but it distorted the wing from a few feet
away all the way to the horizon.

AG-Schnozz