Re: [OM] hoods

Subject: Re: [OM] hoods
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 15:08:57 -0700
Moose wrote:

Whoa, whoa, wait a minute here.
1. The 'tulip' shape is exactly equivilent to a rectangular, full-length hood, but physically smaller and less obtrusive. Do the 3-D geometry on your CAD program. It doesn't matter whether the light path is interrupted close to or far away from the lens. Whether that light ray to the far corner of the image sneaks past a corner of a rectangular hood 4" away from the glass or through a curved notch 3/8" from the glass, the effect is the same. I assume tulip hood designs became common after is became relatively easy to design them with computers.

2. The 'tulip' shape is no more effective at longer focal lengths on a zoom than any other hood design.

also
3. They are sexy for the same reason that flowers and Julia O'Keefe's paintings of them are sexy, flowers are sex organs and many are reminiscent in form to human sexual organs.

You beat me to it. Phew.

I think the tulip shade is sexy because it uses a curved edge to throw a straight shadow. Elegant. I wish the OM version did not pop off quite so easily though.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California