Re: [OM] OM-4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4Ti
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:08:06 -0700
The matrix meter may not be as mysterious as it
appears. Put the camera in spot mode, evaluate the
scene and decide on an exposure you think is appropriate.
Now put it back in matrix and compare the exposures.
Repeat for a variety of lighting conditions and you
will get a good feel for matrix metering.

On a photo.net forum I read that a lot of photographers
who are  experienced with matrix/evaluative metering, DO
dial in exposure compensation in that mode.
-Tim

Well, I suppose that since the goal of matrix metering is to eliminate manual compensation it has failed.

My reading of matrix explanations are that the frame might be divided into maybe a dozen or more areas of sensitivity and that the final exposure is determined by a complex computer algorithm which looks at the value of each area in relationship to all the others. There is no way you can know what is going on in that situation unless it doesn't really work. Of course there are always people who delude themselves themselves that they have control when they don't, such as the people who improved the sound of their CDs a few years ago with green Magic Markers.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California