Re: [OM] Lightmeter cumbersome?

Subject: Re: [OM] Lightmeter cumbersome?
From: "Mickey Trageser" <vze3m2s8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 10:59:50 -0400
Albert-
Although the GW690III has the classic 35mm rangefinder appearance, I think
the approach to its use will be quite different. It uses 120/220 film to
provide a huge negative, only 8 or 16 exposures per roll. This alone raises
the 'cost per frame' a great deal. It's also more cumbersome to change the
film and it must be done 4 times as frequently as 36 exposure rolls of 35mm
film.  To me, this signals a need to slow down and consider every aspect of
each shot. I'd probably use a tripod most of the time, even thought the form
factor of the camera enables handheld use.

The completely manual design of the camera, sans meter, locked to a single
focal length and coupled with the cost factors would put me in a mode that
would demand thoughtful deliberation for each frame. Using a handheld meter
would not significantly affect that process.

What are your intentions for the camera? Travel? Studio? Portraits? Are you
planning on printing murals? Do all of your photography needs fit into a
single focal length? Changing your goal from an OM-4Ti to the GW690III has
far more impact than just losing the metering system. My needs for features
are more diverse that the Fuji can provide as a primary camera. But if I had
a real need for the negative size, and the fixed focal length was
appropriate to the application, the lack of meter would not be an issue. But
it wouldn't replace my 35mm system.

Put a 35mm lens on an OM-1 without batteries. Charge yourself $5 for each
frame you shoot. Limit yourself to film speeds available in 220 format.
Borrow a meter or get a cheap used one. Use this system to do what you
expect to do with the Fuji. If this suits your needs, go for it. If not,
you've spent very little and perhaps experienced the discipline needed with
that system.

OK, all that being said. I am extremely pleased with my Minolta handheld
ambient/flash meter. I would not have a problem purchasing another, if the
need arises.

Good luck!
-Mickey