Re: [OM] Professionals and digital photography on Slashdot

Subject: Re: [OM] Professionals and digital photography on Slashdot
From: "Dave Dougherty" <davdou@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 15:58:43 -0700
>the ability of the average person to produce high-quality
images, and the corresponding decrease in importance of viewing images on
paper.<

NOPE!  The "average" person cannot compete in photographic ability with a
professional wedding photographer.  For that matter, the "average" person
cannot compete with an advanced amateur.

Didn't we just have a discussion about the masses with their
point-and-shoots trying to light up a stadium with a flash?  I have seen
many many tourists at the Botanical Garden with their single use cameras
shooting a flower from 4 to 6 inches distance.  Unless I have missed
something, these cameras don't have macro capability.

The "average" person is the least common denominator.  A professional
wedding photographer's work should be much better than that; whether or not
he uses film or shoots digital.  The rules of composition and esthetic
photography are not understood by the "average" person.  They know they like
it when they see it, but they don't have the time or the interest to learn
how to do it.

The introduction of a Digital SLR that will correctly compose the shot, see
the tree growing out of the bride' head, etc. will spell the end of the pro.
But until then, it aint gonna happen.

Dave Dougherty