Re: [OM] Olympus digital SLR

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus digital SLR
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 11:34:13 -0700
I think they will. I think it's going to be the SLR that ends all SLR's. Because of the size of the sensor, take a little math, and do the ratio of 35mm vs the 3/2 sensor they will be using, and then proportion the lens and body size accordingly. I think in the spirit of Olympus, you will have a HUGE viewfinder image, whisper quiet mirror flaps, great lenses that are extremely compact, and of course, great image quality.

One of the things that Olympus is doing that no other manufacturer is doing, is noticing the fact that with CCD's, the game has changed. Film will absorb light in most directions, and so as long as you get light onto the film plane, it will absorb it. The CCD's only have sensors on the tip... That means the light has to come in at a direct angle to the sensor, if the angle is too steep, then the image quality will suck. Olympus talks about it in their product lit, which surprised me a lot. Also, I'm curious if they use the hex-shaped pixels or not... Those tend to give you much better images.

"grain" is a lot prettier then pixelation.... I don't know if the digital people have realized that. Grain on B&W pics have character and depth, pixelation on B&W's makes the pic look dirty..

Albert

Sorry, but Olympus is going to have to come up with something absolutely
incredible to get me to forgive them for not supporting their legacy
products -- something so amazingly amazing that I would buy it even if they
_were_ supporting their legacy products.