RE: [OM] 20 mm Macro lens question

Subject: RE: [OM] 20 mm Macro lens question
From: Alan Wood <alan.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 08:43:38 +0100
Andre Goforth asked:

> Oly made 2 versions of the 20 mm macro. A f3.5 and a
> f2.0. What are the pluses and minuses of these two
> versions. The f3.5 is the older model right?

Yes, the f/3.5 is older and was replaced by the f/2.0.

The f/2.0 is faster, has an auto diaphragm, and has a small amount of fine
focusing adjustment with a helicoid mount.  It has an OM-bayonet, so it fits
directly to the bellows, variable extension tube or normal extension tubes.
It has a 49mm filter mount set back from the front of the lens, so you
cannot use it for filters but you can attach the mounting ring for T-28
macro flash.  It is possible to attach the ring flashes, but if I remember
correctly the lens to subject distance is so small that the light from the
ring flash does not illuminate the subject.

The f/3.5 has a small screw thread mount (the same as microscope
objectives), and requires a PM-MTob adapter to convert to OM-bayonet.  It
does not have helicoid fine focusing, and does not have an auto diaphragm.
There is no way to attach the macro flash or ring flash units.

Alan Wood
http://www.alanwood.net (Unicode, special characters, pesticide names)