RE: [OM] Tamron 500/8 mirror - better resolution than Zuiko, but pooer

Subject: RE: [OM] Tamron 500/8 mirror - better resolution than Zuiko, but pooer contrast. $150
From: Andre Goforth <andregoanon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:28:17 -0700 (PDT)
Yeow! 500x2x2x2 = 4,000 mm telephoto. IMHO I don't
think the equipment was designed to be used this way
so whatever you get is "potluck" ( which sometimes is
fantastic). Second, you may be unfair to attribute the
lack of resolution to the lens when Vibration(s) and
Atmospheric and Temperature conditions can play hell
(you need an observatory mount!!!!).

Your moon shots are nice. I did a moon series of shots
and found it was like shooting sports action. You have
to shoot rolls and rolls of film if you want get a
batch of nice results. I would get 3 or 4 good ones on
a roll of 36. Note I was shooting off a medium weight
tripod. I would compare this sort of extreme use of
gear head to head with say 5 rolls for each set up.

The max I've done is the oly 600 + oly 2X and it is a
pain. Would help to have a astro like tripod. Note the
2X with the 600 is not ideal either. I thought I was
being extreme! I've recently picked up an 800 mm
mirror and will try the moon with it. To compare this
sort of extreme use of gear head to head will in my
opinion take 5 rolls for each set up.

The other pics of land are very nice too. I can't tell
if the telephoto bokeh as shown on the screen is
affected by the digitizing or not. Digital resolution
seems to alter bokeh more sometimes than in focus.

Andre
--- "Daniel J. Mitchell"

http://www.danielmitchell.net/gallery/index.php?pageType=folder&currDir=./ta