[OM] [OT] Portrait vs Landscapel: A plea for help

Subject: [OM] [OT] Portrait vs Landscapel: A plea for help
From: Chris Barrett <cpbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:56:04 +0100
Dear Bob, Scott, Ian, Winsor, and Ed,

Thanks for your replies.

Bob "vertical" Gries wrote:

"After all, for the "serious" work you use a tripod, no!?
;)"

Ed Senior wrote:

"I have a quick cure... shoot everything on a monopod.  You'll be forced
to shoot landscape format."

Actually, this summer I bought a Leki walking pole with a camera screw on top.
I've fitted it with a Manfrotto Mini Ball Head (The wooden knob then goes back
on top of the ball). This is working out really well as it doubles as a walking
pole, but is very light weight compared to my monopod.

Scott Gomez wrote:

"It's not curable. Confusion helps. I doubt you've caught Malvern, it's not
very transmissable."

Malvern is contagious and incurable - I love it!

- ---

Ian wrote:

"I take all of my pix in landscape and then scan and print in portrait as
needed. This does lose some of the negative area but has a number of
advantages:

Which does lead me to another vexing question.... how and why do they make
Zuiko lenses to give an oblong image on film? Why can't we just turn the
lens 90 degree to give a portrait shape on the film and thus save film?"

It sounds like you do need a PenFT. If you're cropping a horizontal neg to a
vertical then your losing a lot of definition. They don't make lenses to give a
rectangular field, they have  circular field so it doesn't matter if you turn a
lens through 90 degrees.

Winsor Crosby wrote

"d)  Get a 6x4.5 medium format camera which is normally vertical, more
film to keep digital at bay.  Especially useful for printing and
hanging. You can keep the Olympus for the occasional horizontal shots."

Is that right? I've only ever looked at the Mamiya, but I thought the film ran
vertically, so a horizontal shot runs across the film width. Others might be
different or I may have remembered wrong.

Chris