[OM] - Bad deal :(

Subject: [OM] - Bad deal :(
From: flowerside@xxxxxxxxxxxx ()
Date: 10 Sep 2002 07:29:30 -0000
Hi all,

yesterday I finally received two used Zuikos, bought in the USA and shipped to
a friend of mine who whas there and just about to return to Italy (where I
live).

Bad news: they seemed *apparently* OK before I realized that the 35/2 "MC" had
the front lens slightly detached (I can feel it moving if I face the lens to
the ground and push the front lens upward) and tracks of bad coating on the
front element, while the 50/1.4 "MC" was colonized  by fungus, or at least this
is what seems to me the small dust grains covering the surface of the second
inner element and noticeable only if I backlight the lens.

Apart this the lenses are mechanically OK.

Both lenses were stated as "excellent" on Adorama, where I bought them, and
their prices were not so low to justify their actual state. Needless to say
that, to me, they feel more like a steal...

Unluckily my friend, who received the lens while still in the USA, was not an
experienced photographer so he didn't spot these faults when he received the
lenses so my two weeks trial period is over and I cannot send them back to
Adorama.

I'll try asking Adorama if they can do something (I don't think so, though :(
). So, now my choice is whether trying to fix or sell them at bargain prices.

What scares me most is the 35/2.

Does anyone here in the list have any experience in fixing detached lenses? Is
it expensive or just a matter of turning screws? Should I do it by myself? I've
not shot a test roll, but how does this problem affect picture quality?

And how about the fungus? I know it will take time before it strongly affects
the lens surface, but I still don't trust leaving the "infected" lens among my
other Zuikos. Is there any chance, given that the lens affected is in the front
group, to clean it by myself?

Sorry for having been so verbose, and thanks in advance for any help you could
give me...

Keep up doing the good work you all do in this list!

Fabio (who sadly greets all the worldwide zuikoholics)

PS: How can I add myself to the list of OM users?

Salve, il messaggio che hai ricevuto
è stato inviato per mezzo del sistema
di web mail interfree. Se anche tu vuoi
una casella di posta free visita il