Re: [OM] What have I Taken On??

Subject: Re: [OM] What have I Taken On??
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 22:48:43 -0500
At 20:01 9/8/02, Josh Lohuis wrote:

   Josh (Oh God!)

Josh,
I flipped this around and put your "sig line" first because you got that right! You remind me of a local friend who takes on jobs and then figures out how to do them. Nothing like working under the gun. There are some difficulties, but do not panic completely (a little would be healthy right now). You haven't taken on the impossible.

I have recently accepted three photography "jobs". The first one, which involves me taking pictures of a woman's one-year old baby (female), do be done sometime before the end of September. I have talked breifly with the lady, she mentioned being open to anything, including the outdoors at sunset.

The primary difficulties with a 1-year old is ability to pose her. Attention span can be short and you will have to work with natural behaviors when she is in a good mood. I'm not too keen about the sunset shot. Too many factors must converge simultaneously: weather, time of day and child's mood. The percentage chance of getting each one individually is multiplied all together to get the total chance (i.e. if each is 50%, then it's 50ubed, or 12.5%). Just getting the child's mood will be difficult. Talk to the mother and find out if there is a typical time of day when she is in a good mood, especially when around strangers and/or is in a strange environment. You don't want to try this at 6:00 PM if she's typically cranky for a nap at 6:00 PM. I would still use Portra NC for it.

Some of the better methods I've seen used pose the infant supported on the mother to eliminate "separation anxiety" which can turn an infant's water works on at the drop of a hat. One in particular has the mother on her back, drapes the backdrop cloth over the mother's stomach and the infant is placed there. Composition is done tight to keep the "support method" from being obvious. The mother can provide security support from the side not facing the camera. Other methods show mother-child interaction and yet another showed mother, child and grandmother. Use your imagination in this regard.

The second job; taking pictures of a woman's dog, to be done early October (not much more information here [yet]).

Ack! I've done portraits of our dog and cat. This can be difficult if the pet is not extremely well trained (as a show animal would be). Many house dogs may be house trained, but not to the extent they can be posed! The method I've used is in a natural, familiar environment using their natural behaviors, such as favorite places to sit, lie down, etc. I work with the lighting and removing distracting objects in thos locations without so severely changing them as to make them unfamiliar. Then I work to "trigger" the desired behavior. This takes observation to know what triggers the behaviors, having considerable patience and being willing to burn some film to capture a "decisive moment." Our cat and dog can react so fast to sound they can shift head and ear positions, and how wide the eyes are open, between the time they hear mirror movement/aperture stop-down, and when the shutter starts traveling. I've watched this happen by keeping the both eyes open and looking around the prism with the one not in the viewfinder. Add a flash which can startle a pet even more, and it sometimes requires additional patience for the animal to settle down to normal behaviors again. Not to mention what can occur if you are a total stranger to the animal. Be ready to spend some time to allow the dog to become familiar with you before pulling a camera out and to try it in several sessions if you have to. Pets can have a mind of their own and in spite of best efforts to trigger desired behaviors. They can decide that it's just not the day and time to sit in what is normally their favorite chair or lay in their favorite bed. Friendly, well socialized dogs in particular can get curious, come right up to you to interact with you, and plant a wet nose print on the lens front! I would use Portra NC just as I would with a human, especially if the dog has any black in its fur.

And lastly, a family portrait for another woman, there was mention of a new grand-piano that is to be included in a (the) portrait.

Lighting on this one will be a challenge along with composition. If this is a grand inside a house, you'll also be working with an enormous object without much maneuvering room. This depends on size of room, size of piano, how it's oriented in the room, and how much of the piano they expect in the photograph. I have a "parlor" size grand piano in my living room (bigger than "baby" and smaller than "concert"). Even if it's a "baby" grand, you're not going to be able to move it to reposition it. You'll have to work with it "as is." Ask to see where this piano is ASAP! Then start thinking about how to light and compose the portrait in that space for both person and the portion of the piano that will be in the final print.

Just my $.02 . . . and hoping others on the list have some ideas too.

-- John