[OM] What a screw-up!

Subject: [OM] What a screw-up!
From: "om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 20:33:51 -0400
Well, I had some time today and decided to dust off the OM system for some
long-deserved pictures.  The late-summer/autumn flowers are in full bloom
here in NJ and the bees and butterflies are taking full advantage of the
scarce nectar supplies late in the season.  In the morning, the bumblebees
in particular like this one flower that must have 150 blooms on it.  I
guess that they are able to warm up their flight muscles quicker than
smaller insects.

So I got out the OM-4T, MD2, 135/4.5 and 90/2 macros, the T10, T8, and a
two-T32 setup on a Lepp bracket.  I was determined to see what worked best
and what the pictures looked like from each setup.  This was a project that
had long been on the to-do list.  I took three rolls of Provia-F 100 using
mostly the 135/4.5 on the Auto-Tube at full extension.  It gave me much
better working distance than the 90/2.  I also added a full set of
extension tubes (+68mm) when the sun came out, which added a significant
amount of magnification, but didn't affect the handling very much.

I was very pleased with myself.  The rigs seemed to work well, with the
most light of course coming from the two T-32's, but it was the most bulky.
There are definite f-stop ranges with each setup.  The T-32's couldn't be
used wide open, but my movement probably wouldn't have worked there anyway.
(I had a Quantum battery running the flashes, which is always nice.)

I had made sure that I had set the film speed down two stops from the
previous ASA400 film that I had used (or so I thought).  So I gathered up
my film after I was through, put the gear away, and looked down at the
film-speed dial on the OM-4t.

Aieeeeee!!  It was set on 1600!  I hadn't had my glasses on when I had set
the film speed and had turned the film speed dial the wrong way two stops!
And I hadn't checked it.  Geeezzzzzus!  Could it be salvaged?  No, not 4
stops under-exposed.  It might push 1 or 2 stops, but not 4.

So I wasted about 2 hours on one of the few free days that I have.  I was
really bummed as I threw the film in the trash.  At least I hadn't sent the
film in and paid for the processing too!!

I guess I'll double-check my film speed dial from now on, huh?  If only the
camera had had DX encoding.  My other new cameras all have DX coding, I've
obviously gotten lazy.

Skip