Re: [OM] Common Courtesy - A Rant!

Subject: Re: [OM] Common Courtesy - A Rant!
From: Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 14:02:36 -0400
I thought for a while that I was a Zuikoholic.  I've come to realize that
I'm really not.  Honest!  Counting the Zeiss, Schneider and Rodenstock
lenses for my medium format gear, plus the three Tamrons, one Carl Zeiss
Jena and one Phoenix for my OM gear, "other" lenses outnumber my Zuikos 21
to 17.  Since that proves I'm actually not a Zuikoholic and don't have a
problem, I now consider myself free to paddle around in the Bay to catch
more Zuikos, and in the last week, I have snared two.

Now for the rant:

Sunday evening, I "won" a 35/2.8 Zuiko shift.  The seller accepted BidPay,
which I don't like because of the cost, but it still beat the prospect of a
trip to the post office when I considered my schedule for the week.  I
tried to pay Sunday evening, but the listing didn't include a complete
address, so I couldn't finish the required BidPay forms.  I emailed the
seller through the Bay, requesting a full address.  It was 36 hours before
he/she/it bothered to reply, with an email containing only his/her/its
address, no "Hi," no "Thanks for bidding," not even a "Kiss my ass."
("Arse" if you prefer.)

Now, almost five days since the auction, three days since BidPay -- the
seller's choice or payment service, not mine -- notified both buyer and
seller that payment was on the way, I have heard nothing, not "We're
shipping it today," or "When the money order gets here, we'll ship it."
I'm considering emailing him/her/it that he/she/it can pucker up and kiss
MY ass/arse.

Yesterday I sniped a 35-80/2.8 Zuiko.  Since the seller accepts credit
cards, I immediately emailed him -- at least this time I know it's a "him"
-- through the "Ask Seller a Question" thing,  saying that I would either
send my credit card info in separate emails or, preferably, if he has a fax
number, by fax.  A couple of hours later, I got an email with -- you
guessed it -- nothing but his email address, no "Hi," no "Thanks for
bidding," and again not even a "Kiss my ass/arse."  Immediately, I send the
credit card information in two emails a few seconds apart.

Now, nearly 24 hours later, I have received no "Got half the number, but
where's the rest?" or no "Everything's fine, shipping the lens tomorrow,"
not even a "Your card was refused and the bank's got people out looking for
you."

What ever happened to common courtesy?  I don't want to start up any "How's
yer momma and them?" sort of relationship with these people, but there's a
certain level of civility I think I'm reasonably entitled to expect, even
in long-distance, electronically-transmitted commercial transactions.  And
these aren't small deals, at least not for me.  (Maybe for Tom.)

If these two lenses arrive in a reasonable amount of time and are as
described, negative feedback for these two jerks may not be warranted, but,
by God, depending on how it goes from here on out, they'll either get
neutral or none.  (That, of course, assumes they don't piss me off any
more.)

Walt