Re: [OM] Jumping into the Pool Head First

Subject: Re: [OM] Jumping into the Pool Head First
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 13:05:41 -0700
on 9/4/02 11:02 PM, Wayne Harridge at wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> Doggre@xxxxxxx <Doggre@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> One other thing that is being painfully driven home to me as I post
>> photos to
>> photo.net is that I am just plain a failure at recording the
>> technical
>> details of my shots. Bad habit I have to break.  One isn't inclined
>> to put
>> down the camera and scribble down aperture, shutter speed, film,
>> lens,
>> camera, filter, etc. when one is caught up in the moment (that
>> all-too-brief,
>> fleeting moment) of zuiko, "magic light".
>>

> Yeah, me too.  I only record details if I'm doing some sort of specific
> testing (e.g.
> working out the best exposure for a half moon exposure).  What would you do
> with the details you could record anyhow ?  How do you decide what to record
> and what not to record ?  I believe some of the Wunderbricks record heaps of
> stuff for each exposure - seems like a good job for a machine.
>
> ...Wayne

I keep thinking I should note the exposure info all the time, but like Wayne
I only do it when I'm testing something. There are cameras that will
actually automatically imprint the exposure information, on the edge of the
film, between the perforations or in the seperator between images... I think
most digicams record the exposure data as part of the image's file. My Canon
EOS IX notes the information on the APS film's magnetic track, and the
pictures come back with the exposure/focal length/time/etc printed on the
back. Handy, but not the first thing I'd look for in deciding which camera
to buy. Its a shame the APS used a smaller image area, a 35mm version of
that technology that retained backward compatiblity with current 35mm
cameras would be a great innovation.
--

Jim Brokaw