Re: [OM] Safari out - Paris in?

Subject: Re: [OM] Safari out - Paris in?
From: VS <VS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 09:12:41 +0200
In message <NDBBIEFMNLLANOKNEJGOIEKEDBAA.hcbottj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Henry Bottjer-BA" writes:

Henry,

>Too much planning and advance work for my trip to South Africa so I've
>decided to substitute a trip to Paris.  Probably 4-5 days, and yes to do the
>touristy things (I've never been).

First of all, 4-5 days won't be enough. I've spent 2 weeks there a
couple of years ago and I still feel I didn't see enough of Paris.

Get Eyewitness Travel Guide to Paris book
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1564581853/qid=1031207562/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-9102810-4646365>.
It's well worth the money and it's filled with interesting information,
walks, photos from museums, places to visit, ...

Buy the book well before you actually go there, you'll see why when you
first open it. :-)

>                                    I'm looking for gear recommendations
>(yet, but they are always welcome), but am more curious about security.

28mm is a bare minimum, if you have 24mm or 21mm they'll come quite
handy. If I went there again, I'd probably pack 24mm, 35mm shift and
85mm or 100mm in my daily bag. But that's just me.

>                                                       Any places I may not
>be able to bring a camera bag, or places that photos would be forbidden?
>
>And okay, any advice about where to go for good shots would be great too.

>From what I remember, all museums allow photography. Flash is not so
popular with most of them, neither are tripod, but a monopod can go far
most of the time. Check with friendly staff. :-)

Things to visit in no specific order:
       Notre Dame
             What can I say, those flying buttresses just did it for
             me. I was a bit disappointed that the whole facade was too white
             for my liking, but the building is just great.

       Musee d'Orsay
             A lot of sculptures, including Rodin's "Gates to hell". The
             museum itself is a great building, too bad you won't visit
             it in time for TOPE 11.

       Rodin's house
             Visit the garden, have a quite picnic there, feed the
             pigeons, shoot some 'street photos' .. and everyone's
             favorite, mimic the Thinker. :-)

       Montparnasse
             Fine wining and dining. You can do whining when it's time
             to pay the bill. :-)

       Basillique du Sacre Coeur - Montmartre
             Magnificent building, always quite crowded on the outside,
             many people's favorite daylight photo vantage point it seemed.

       Dali Museum - Montmartre
             Montmartre is filled with street artists and many
             opportunities for street photography. And while you're
             there, visit Dali's museum.

       Opera house
             Can't visit Paris without visiting the Opera house. And
             don't worry, they've take care of Andrew Lloyd Webber..err,
             the Phantom, I mean.

       Arc de Triomphe
             Climb it, take panoramic photos or just scout for your new
             destinations. Take some photos of the Champs-Elysees,
             filled with traffic, bustling with life.

       Louvre
             All that you've heard about it ... and they're photography
             friendly. Pack lots of water for this one. Think of it as a
             half day trek if you want to cover most of it. Take photo
             of all the people trying to take photo of Mona Lisa. :-)

       Versailles gradens
             I didn't feel like joining the 1 hour queue to see the
             insides of the palace, so I can't comment on that. But the
             gardens are great. Plenty of photographic opportunities,
             great to wind down for a while, have some quite time.

       Invalides
             Napoleon's tomb, arms museum, ...

And many other places that I can't remember now. :-)

HTH,

Saso