[OM] ( OM ) Not really OM - but digital -> 35mmm slides

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Not really OM - but digital -> 35mmm slides
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 11:43:44 +1200
Hi folk,

I have a friend of many years' standing with whom I used to share a flat in
New Zealand in the 1970s, and who works for the USDAFS in the WV / MD
area. He spends a lot of time talking to classes and projecting slides. Now
he's thinking of digital. My first question was "Why?".

Here's part of his letter.

>            I am about to (I think) get into digital photography and would
> like your advice.   While all of the teaching i do is via 35mm slides, one
> day I'll go to powerpoint.  However at the moment the budget only bought my
> own
> dedicated projector.   It will be some years before they get me my own power
> point projector.
>
> Using Kathy's old Canon AE1 and some shifty modified attachments I bought a
> ring
> flash on the nose of my binocular scope is OK for insects. But I need a better
> system for the microscope.
> (snip)
> Back to digital vs analogue photos.   What are the drawbacks of using a
> digital camera to make 35mm slides.   I had a melt down with my 35mm camera
> and
> am now about to ask the FS for my third camera in 10 yrs.  Yep I've been stuck
> here for 10 yrs.

I also asked him what he meant by "meltdown" and did he have access to a
good C*n*n repair-person?

Brian