Re: [OM] cross point screws follow up; JIS cross-point screws

Subject: Re: [OM] cross point screws follow up; JIS cross-point screws
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 15:11:37 -0400
At 10:04 AM +0000 8/31/02, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 23:17:23 -0600
>From: Matt Crawley <matt@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] cross point screws follow up
>
>Hi Joe.
>
>I think these "Scrulox" heads you refer to might be called "Robert's Heads"
>in Canada...
>
>joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > In New England, we also see a lot of new wood furniture with Scrulox heads,
> > which have a square recess.  Very strong profile, so it's difficult to
> > cam-out
> > or strip the head.  Canadian manufacturers in particular seem to use
> > Scrulox.

I've also heard them called "Robertson" heads/screws/drivers.  More
prosaically, simply "square-drive screws".  Square-drive screws were apparently
invented for use in hardwood, which takes far more torque than phillips can
deliver.

McFeely's Square-Drive Screws has more square-drive screw variations than I
would know what to do with, and some nice advice on what to use where:
<www.mcfeelys.com>.

Camera content?  Well, the catalog has nice pictures, but it seems unlikely
that even wood cameras will use such screws, even though one can get them in
solid brass down to #4 size.  Slotted screws are traditional in wood cameras.

As for what kind of screwdriver the Japanese camera manufacturers use, the
website <http://www.e-sci.com/jensen/1/26/235/3483.html> provided by Jim Timpe
has the answer:  JIS  #<number", although these screwdrivers are a bit
expensive, exceeding even the Wiha (German) screwdrivers.

Joe Gwinn