Re: [OM] Is the end of silver film anywhere in sight?

Subject: Re: [OM] Is the end of silver film anywhere in sight?
From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 20:05:07 +0100
On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:18:34 +0800, "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>I heard the color film today has very little silver content, mostly
>dye.

Unless things have changed greatly, the dye is formed by the products
of developing the silver images in each layer reacting with the
appropriate colour coupler to produce a density of dye proportional to
the density of the silver image. After the first developer stage,
silver, silver halides and dye are all present. The bleach dissolves
out the metallic silver and the fixer dissolves the silver halides,
leaving only dye. Silver is recovered from the bleach and fixer.

My gut feeling is that digital will start to replace the basic amateur
negative films (like APS) first, maybe some 35mm next? What of medium
and larger formats? I hope not! Then as an OM, E-10 and Bronica user I
would say that, wouldn't I? :-)

FWIW my son works in a photo dealer (how do you think I got a cheap
E-10 :-) and says that the sale of digital compacts (especially) is
growing rapidly. APS does not seem to be doing especially well. My son
*is* a committed OM addict, at least!

John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK)