Re: [OM] The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (XA2 Test Roll Experience)

Subject: Re: [OM] The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (XA2 Test Roll Experience)
From: John Robison <omrobison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 06:01:52 -0700 (PDT)
--- Doggre@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm excited!
>
> Bought an XA2/A11 combo off evilBay for a nephew
> months ago.<snip> Took it out to run a test roll of
film through it.<snip>
> The ugly: walked on over to Rite-Aid <big snip>

Rich Rich Rich.....you should have known what was
going to happen just on general principle. After the
first 1 hour labs started up, just about everybody and
their dog had to have one, but who was going to
operate these wonder-machines? No problem, the sales
reps told the company moguls, they are so automatic
they run themselves. So... at most places they seem to
be operated by the dumbest, most disinterested, part
time high school kid who wouldn't know the difference
between an SLR and a can opener. Try Costco in Federal
Way, there is a lady there (I can't remember her name)
who is reasonably sharp, and they will tell you when
you drop the film off if it's going to take longer
than one hour. They also keep their machines in good
repair and seem to take care with your negs.

I asked the lady there if they could process and print
my T-max CN, Kodak's C-41 process black & white film.
She told me they didn't have the regular printers set
up to give a neutral result, but that they could
develop the film, scan it and print it from their
computer onto photo paper.  I figure if she can do
that much, they must know what they're doing.

John in Olympia