Re: [OM] In lieu of a digital OM back, a 35mm scanner?; Linux

Subject: Re: [OM] In lieu of a digital OM back, a 35mm scanner?; Linux
From: Andrew Beals <bandy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:30:38 -0700
On Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:45:11 -0700, "Timpe, Jim" <Jim.Timpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Andrew, don't hold back on us...   tell us exactly what you think...    <g>

The HP S20's automatic negative handling scratched a negative of mine when it
skewed.  Unacceptable!

I believe that this is a family email group, hence my restraint.

The S20 is also a mixed-mode device, scanning prints and negs in the same zone
-- I don't think that it does a very good job at scanning negatives.  I didn't
try it on chromes.

The 1800 I've used on negs and chromes and I think it's done a great job for
the price.

I have yet to find a need to buy a "better" transparency scanner, although I
do have a small number of 126 negs that I'm not sure if they'll feed as well
as a handful of 120 negs worth scanning.

For u*nx image-processing software, there's "xv" for simple stuff, the netpbm
toolkit for fancyish fiddling and GIMP is a GNU-ware-ish photoshop knockoff or
so I've heard.  In addition, "jpegtran" is what I use to rotate things
losslessly, and it will do mirroring as well.  My cdrom-able digital scrapbook
is built with netpbm, jpegtran, the JPEG Working Group's tools and TCL.

Since we're close to discussing browsers, check out dillo.  It's simple but
should fill most of your needs and it's small and fast!