Re: [OM] Lots of Questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Lots of Questions
From: "Grigorov, Boris" <BGrigorov@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 08:20:15 -0400
Greetings fellow addicts,

On the question about the viewfinder:
I guess I did not give a good explanation.  Luckily, my eyesight is still
fine, but to be honest with you, I do not have any idea why.  Everything is
against the odds.  My parents started wearing glasses in their early
twenties and all my life I spent more time reading than anything else.  I am
36 now and still have my 20/20, not bad at all.
The way to explain how the viewfinder bothers me is through drawing an
analogy with the computer screen.  If you sit too close to the monitor, you
would be able to see just an area of it.  If you move away from it, you get
to see the whole screen.  Is there any device that would help me to "zoom
out" the image in the viewfinder?
Having complained about that, I do not really want to start any arguments
here, I researched rigorously before I bought my OM 1MD body and if I
thought that the viewfinder sucks, I would not have bought an OM PC body
four years later.  I do not own any Zuikos yet (not that the virus has not
affected me, not being able to afford was my medicine, but I see this time
coming soon...), which means that my lens collection was not a determining
factor here.  Actually, IMHO the OM cameras deserve the same attention as
the Zuiko lenses, I see them as equally addictive.

Moose wrote:
For scanning on a dedicated film scanner, color negative film is better
than slides. The negative film captures a greater range of brightness
than slide film, thus capturing more information (so I have a wider
choice of brightrness and contrast in the digital darkroom).

I had the impression from the previous discussions here that the slide film
is better, in this case, my question about film recommendations changes to
what is the best non professional grade film that I could use.  I know the
argument about the processing the exposed film as soon as possible, is
leaving the film in the camera for a month (the most) too much?
I tend to favor Fuji over Kodak, because of the cyan color cast  with the
latter (o.k. I am talking Kodak Gold vs. Superia).  I prefer to shoot
travel/landscapes.
Curious to know though, why Kodak is easier to scan as Ken mentioned in one
of the responses.
Going back to the scanners, I kinda made up my mind about it, but would like
to see what the other members think.  I like the Epson Perfection Photo
Scanner  1650  or Epson Perfection Photo Scanner  1640U.  What do you think?

Ken wrote:

I maintain (and am continuing to grow) my B&W chemical darkroom.
There is little chance that digital is going to replace my
darkroom anytime soon.

Actually I am working on it, parallel to the digital, I am going to have a
b&w darkroom too.  So far I have the enlarger only.  It is an Meopta Opemus
6,(anyone on this side of the pond seen one of these?).  It came highly
recommended in couple of British photography books.  I intend to use it for
my 6X6 for the most part.  Thinking about building all the electronic
equipment (including temperature control) myself, but we will see...work is
too much and on the top of it, I am going back of school.  Really excited
about the photography class...I know I can learn it on my own, but as I said
before, it is an excuse for spending more time with my cameras (and it is
free, the company pays for all my classes), EE can grow old on you from time
to time....if it occupies all of your time...
I looked at the C*n*n printer, but it is out of my budget for now.  Is it
possible to achieve good results from a printer half the price.  If not I
have to think about plan B.  What about the silver halide method that some
labs such as OFOTO use to print digital pictures?
Thanks for all the responses to my previous mail, especially to Moose and AG
Schnozz and yes Acer, I have been to your website often.  Found it very
informative and liked it very much.
Cheers

]Boris Grigorov
]