RE: [OM] OT Hiking Advice -- silk underwear

Subject: RE: [OM] OT Hiking Advice -- silk underwear
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 01:44:12 -0600
Mike,

So we're full of it huh?  Cotton is fine for couch potatoes who can step in
the other room and change if it gets wet. Cotton is the worst thing you can
wear next to the skin if you are performing high exertion tasks in cold
weather because it retains moisture and does not wick it away from your
body. Imagine trying to change a wet t-shirt with your ass hanging on a
cliff in sub-zero weather in high winds. Not going to happen. There has been
a lot of research and development related to clothing for cold-weather
outdoor activity and it all says you are wrong.  I worked as a ski patrolman
for many years and have done a fair amount of mountain rescue work. After
you haul off a few frozen people, the dangers of hypothermia from improper
behavior of people wearing improper clothing become very real. How does this
relate to photography? You might work hard to get to a vantage point and
then you stop the physical exertion to make some photographs. It's when you
stop the exertion that perspiration management dictates how cold you get.
Somebody mentioned earlier that most hypothermia cases involve people in
light clothing getting caught in storms and that's true. It's important to
dress appropriately for what you are doing. Your personal preferences and
beliefs are not important but your giving bad advice to others might be.

/jim